Saturday, August 13, 2005

No chair for me!

Last night we had a sold out crowd for The Book of Liz in our new theater space. Our own home. Not the basement of a church. But our very own theater.

That was one of the best nights of my life.

I stood in the lobby area watching the show with the other board members because we gave up our seats so we could get more people into the show.

Not too many people know this, but the idea for Dreamwell started in the mall where we now have our space. I was eating lunch at Arby's with Paul Chakrin and we were talking about starting a theater company when we returned to the Chicago area. Both of us grew up out there and just figured we'd head back home at some point. There was a pause in the conversation and then Paul said "Why wait?" I looked at him and realized I didn't have a good answer. There was nothing stopping us from making it happen right then in Iowa City. So we jumped in feet first and figured things out as we went. Together with my wife, Sharon, and Ali Zimmerman, we formed the Dreamwell Theatre Company in 1997.

I believe in learning through doing. Experience is the best teacher. I've learned so much about theater and running a business through my experience as president of Dreamwell. On the job training. It was frustrating at times and nerve wracking, but it's all been worth it. We have a successful theater. And I say we because I share this with so many amazing people. When I think of everyone who has worked so hard for Dreamwell over the past eight years, I am overwhelmed.

Paul and Ali and Sharon, thank you.

To the board members of the past eight years: Kim, Matty, Lu, Blake, Teresa, David, Trevor, Emily, Jessica, Jamie, Kristy, Mateo, Scot, Chuck, Robyn, Jeff, Clareann, Madonna, eD, Brian, Kay, Kara, Dan, Chris, Adam, Kevin, Annette, Josh, and Dawn - Thank You.

Hey, Stan Hollibaugh! I remember you and thank you! Arianne Stevens, you helped us a lot in our first year. Sara Geer, thanks for writing the script to the very first Dreamwell production. Derek Cross, are you out there somewhere? Thanks, man!

Hey Katzen! You are a part of Dreamwell, too, you know. Remember the Halloween murder mystery party? I do. Nick Hamel and Mr. Spike - you are not forgotten. Ellen and Sarah, you're part of this, too. Thanks.

Kurt Stevenson and Brian Gilbert, two technical gurus who have helped us out in the past - thanks!

We've had some wonderful directors over the years: Gerry and Rachael, Pauline and Don, David and Jeff. Ah, Jamie Ewing. You added so much to this theater. We miss you.

Aw hell, to all of our volunteers from 1997-2005: If you've ever worked a Dreamwell show - onstage, backstage, behind the scenes, whatever - I thank you for helping make this dream come true.

And a special shout out to the Iowa City Community Theatre, who has been there for us so many times in the past eight years. They've loaned us props, costumes, set pieces, lights - you name it, they offered it. Such a generous group of people.

In case you can't tell, I am feeling a little silly tonight, overwhelmed and happy, giddy even. If I didn't mention you by name, please know that my thanks are soaring to you right now.

Oh, and hey, Paycjeck. Thanks for the name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here