Monday, November 01, 2004

Novelling

842 words. Not too bad so far. I need to write about 1,666 words each day to hit the 50,000 words goal. I'd like to do 2000 per day to give myself some room. (What am I talking about? Go here.)

I am writing the same story that's been in my head since... I don't know how long. I've started this story about five different times over the years. This time the narration is completely different. It's a fantasy novel, so it has swords and magic and good stuff like that. However, I am purposely not writing it with the stylistic conventions of fantasy novels. Those stories often flow smoothly like water and it can be boring. Or at least easy to read. I don't want it to feel like a fantasy novel. I don't want the words to flow nicely off the page. I want it to be choppy. I want it to smack you around a little bit.

Two pages in and I've killed a ten year old. The body count might get pretty high. We'll see what happens.

5 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, November 01, 2004, Blogger Lars said...

I hope you plan on sharing!! I want to read it.

I always wrote good stories in school when you had to, but I don't think I have it in me to write a novel...wish I did though.

 
At 3:23 PM, November 01, 2004, Blogger greenman said...

well done, Consider me thwacked.

I tried and found I can't write much at work so we'll see how this goes.

Current working title: "Just Another God Forsaken Town"

 
At 5:27 PM, November 01, 2004, Blogger Matt said...

Lars, I am not sure I'll share the work... at least not right away. I'll have to see how it goes. One of the tenets of this project is giving yourself permission to write crap. And I am wholeheartedly embracing that tenet.

 
At 9:14 PM, November 01, 2004, Blogger Brent said...

You gotta hook them right away, even if it's a death in only two pages! Good luck!

 
At 1:30 PM, November 02, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(ali here - I finally connected.)

Last year when I did NaNo, I downloaded this Excel stats tracker and it was really helpful:

http://erikbenson.com/nanowrimo-report-card.xls

good tool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here