Thursday, February 10, 2005

Sexist woman

Sharon and I are taking a parenting class. It's free and we figure the more information, the better. Parenting is easily the most challenging thing I've ever done because frankly, you're making it up as you go along. When you go to a 9-5 job, you have certain duties to attend to. You do the work and you're good to go. With parenting, you never know what the kids have planned and you never know what new experience you're going to face that day. Sure, there is a routine that I follow to a certain extent. But much of the time I feel like I'm making it up as I go. Although so far, so good, I think.

Anyway, I've gotten way off the point of this story. So Sharon and I are at this parenting class, which has a very colorful cast of characters. Sharon might blog about all of them, but I want to focus on the sexist woman from... Boston, I think it is. The first night of the class, she mentioned that she bought fifteen million books about parenting, but she says, and she apologizes to the men in the room ahead of time, she doesn't trust the ones written by men because how could they really know anything about parenting. And then she laughs as if she just told a funny joke. My jaw just dropped. Unfortunately, there were a number of women in the room who chuckled along with this sexist woman. Maybe they were the chuckles of the uncomfortable; I don't know. I was too pissed off to be thinking it through. I should have immediately brought up Armin Brott who is easily one of the smartest people when it comes to children and parenting. I read his books The Expectant Father, The New Father, and A Dad's Guide to the Toddler Years. All three were just wonderful. Check 'em out, Dads. You won't regret it.

I missed the second parenting class because it was tech week and Sharon reported that sexist woman didn't say anything obnoxious. Two days ago, I attended class number three and wouldn't you know it, she did it again. This time she told the story about how her husband was proud of discovering "propping a bottle" so he didn't have to hold the baby and feed him. For the non-parents who are unaware, you should never prop a bottle as it can lead to choking and besides you're depriving your child of physical contact with you which is extremely important for his or her emotional and mental development. Sexist woman said it was a guy thing and implied that men just don't know what to do when it comes to babies. I wanted to say, "Maybe it's just your husband who doesn't know what to do, you sexist ass."

In talking to Sharon about this, she suggested that women get the men they deserve. This woman obviously has pretty low expectations of her husband when it comes to childrearing. She got exactly the husband she deserves.

All I know is if she says one more sexist thing in that class, I will call her on it. I am sick to death of her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here