Thursday, July 15, 2004

Hiking soon!

I will be returning to the Appalachian Trail very soon.

I cannot wait. I'm returning to North Carolina, site of the terrible rainstorm, the massive blister and the glory that is Albert Mountain. We'll pick up right where we left off and hike about 50 miles or so. This year, in addition to my brother John, my other brother Jim and my sister Jane are attempting the hike too. Only my brother Dave won't be able to join us. His wife just had a baby, so he is needed at home. Hopefully, next year, we'll make a full family affair. In any case, I am really looking forward to spending time with Jane, Jim and John. Since I live 3 and a half hours away from them, I don't see them as much as I'd like and when I do, it's at a family party and there's not a lot of time to really talk about things. This will give us all an opportunity to connect as adults.

And then there's the challenge of the hiking itself. I am a little worried about my siblings, Jane and Jim. Jim hasn't done much training at all. Jane has done some, but not a lot. I don't think either of them realizes just how physically challenging this is going to be. I didn't get it before my first time. Like John said, hopefully they won't look at us after four miles of hiking and say "What the hell did you get us into?!"

I am mostly ready in terms of equipment. I need to pick up a sleeping mat and some moleskin. (No blister is taking me down this year!) I am making my own trail mix with nuts, Chex cereal, dried fruit and M&Ms. I have to divide that into bags still.

And I can't find my Appalachian Trail buff! I have my Survivor one, which is good, but I need the Appalachian Trail one! I am going to the Trail. I must have my buff. I will tear this place apart until I find it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here