Friday, August 27, 2004

Just da facts, ma'am

I don't know what that title has to do with anything. Just popped into my head.

So my daughter needs a haircut before she starts preschool in two weeks. My wife suggests that I take her today and reward her with a ride on the carousel at the mall for good behavior during the haircut. Sounds like a good idea to me. She desperately needs the haircut - she looks like a sheepdog and you can't even see those beautiful blue eyes behind the bangs. So we go to the mall. A hairdresser at Master Cuts was writing behind the desk. I stood and waited for her to notice me. Without looking up, she says hurriedly, "What can I do for you?" I reply that my daughter needs a haircut. The woman says "Does her mom know?"

I blinked. Huh? What does that have to do with anything? Is this woman seriously suggesting that as a father I am not allowed to have my daughter's haircut without an okay from my wife? And what if I were a single dad and there was no Mom in the picture? I wish I had reacted differently at the time, but I just said, "Yes, of course." The woman must have noticed my reaction because she explained that moms had called her and yelled at her because she'd cut their child's hair without their permission. So to be safe, she always asks first now.

Okay. Fine. I get that. But that doesn't change the fact that the question was rude, sexist and offensive. I am sorry she has to deal with obnoxious moms but that doesn't make it okay for her to be rude to me.

I am firing off an email to MasterCuts home office. I'll let you know what happens.

In other news, life is pretty good. The kids are great, my wife is great, the play is great. Tomorrow I have to move my grandmother in law to a new home, go to a good friend's birthday party, and... something else... oh yeah, work on my lines for Glengarry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here