Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Pirates, scurvy and otherwise

For the last two days, Rachel has been singing, "What does you do with a scurvy pirate?" It's very catchy and now I find myself singing about scurvy pirates at odd moments during the day. This is apparently the fault of the Backyardigans.



Now I like the Backyardigans. For one thing, the characters' names are Uniqua, Pablo, Tyrone, Tasha, and Austin. Clearly, they're trying to reach the minorities. And besides, isn't Uniqua just a cool name? Anyway, the Backyardigans have the most amazing adventures by using their imaginations. They traveled down the Nile, met up with a Yeti, and, as you may have guessed, sailed across the sea as pirates. Plus, they do all that while singing and dancing.

The only problem is the scurvy pirate song my daughter has been singing is, according to a good friend, probably based on this:

What'll we do with a drunken sailor,
What'll we do with a drunken sailor,
What'll we do with a drunken sailor,
Earl-aye in the morning?

Chorus:
Way hay and up she rises (x3)
Earl-aye in the morning

1. Put him in the long boat till he's sober,
2. Keep him there and make 'im bale 'er.
3. Shave his belly with a rusty razor.
4. Put him in bed with the captain's daughter.


And, well, that's a little disturbing.

3 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, January 18, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Matt S here)

Put him in the scuppers with a hosepipe on 'im!

 
At 3:26 PM, January 18, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve K. here

I thought Kourtany and Ashlyn were the only two in the world that watch the Backyardigians. They love 'backyard friends' as Ashlyn calls the show. The only problem I have with the program is that they only made about six or seven episodes so they just recycle the same shows week after week. Let's see: Yeti, Western, Ghost, Spies, Pirates, Nile, Jungle, snowbound (with dogs not yetis). Did I forget any of them?
Kourtany is so into the show she wants a Backyardigans birthday party. Hopefully they make some more before July so Disney will start marketing it so there's favors and decorations to have this theme.

 
At 1:50 PM, January 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Steve! Great to hear from you.

I remember when Rachel was really into the Wiggles and there was NO merchandise anywhere. Now it's all over the place and Rachel doesn't like the Wiggles anymore. (Not a bad thing in and of itself, of course.) I didn't realize there were so few episodes of the Backyardigans. I guess that's why it seems like I've always seen whichever episode is on. I hope they do make more eps. It's a good show, scurvy pirates and all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here