Thursday, January 27, 2005

Smokers Need Not Apply

This article is really interesting. The upshot is a company is telling its employees to either quit smoking or they're fired. They do mandatory urine tests to check for nicotine. The argument is that smokers cost the company because of insurances claims and, I suppose, create higher insurance premiums because they're engaging in an activity that is detrimental to their health. The article goes on to say that the owner of the company is targeting overweight people next, by providing incentives to lose the pounds.

I don't know where I stand on this. I would be happier in a smoke free world. My children would certainly be healthier if they didn't have to breath in the smoke of other people. (Sorry, smokers, but it's just the truth.) So on one hand, I am happy with anything that leads to less smoking in the world. However, I have to wonder if it's really legal to fire or even not hire someone because he or she smokes. The not hire part might be easier to get away with, but the firing someone for smoking in their off hours? I don't know. Someone is going to challenge this legally, I would think. But I wonder if they'll win. Right now, I think people are generally moving toward the idea that people have a right to smoke as long as it's not affecting other people. Toward this end, I think we'll see smoking banned in most public places in the next 20 to 30 years or so. You could apply that same argument in this case. People have a right to smoke, but businesses have a right to not hire a smoker. I don't think you can use a prejudice argument because smoking is a choice, not something a person cannot change about him or herself. Yes, I understand that smoking can become an addiction and I am well aware that it is really difficult for a lot of people to quit. Still, it is possible. One cannot change the color of one's skin or their gender. One can stop smoking.

So I don't know. Is it fair for a business to say "Sorry, smokers, work somewhere else"?

I think I want to say, "Yeah, it's fair." But something inside of me still has doubts.

3 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, January 27, 2005, Blogger Unknown said...

Actually you can change your gender......

And your skin color (look at Michael Jackson)

 
At 9:39 AM, January 27, 2005, Blogger Matt said...

Good point, Melissa! (Although I don't think Michael Jackson changing his skin has made him into anything more or less than a freak!)

And thanks for stopping by.

 
At 11:19 AM, January 27, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve K. here:

Speaking as an ex-smoker, its very easy to quit. I've done it probably 35 times each year while I was in supporting the habit... (Consistency on the other hand...).
But I believe the main issue that Matt brought up was that it is a choice. Once addicted your choice to quit will involve a fight with your body, both mentally and physically, but before you take your first drag, you have the option not to start. I knew the risks when I decided to start, but I choose to try it, and continued to smoke.
However, if a business is allowed to dictate what habits and hobbies an employee can adopt where do you draw the line? Rock climbing can be considered dangerous and even deadly, so can employers force rock climbers or sky divers to quit their hobby or be fired? Can they force employees to eat three to five servings of fruits and veggies a day? Not doing so goes against the RECOMMENDED Daily Allowance, just like it is not recommended to smoke. Not following that recommendation can be considered negligence as they body may not get the proper nutrition, and thus detrimental.
These may seem outrageous statements, but if someone came to me ten years ago and told me they were going to sue the largest fast food chain because their coffee was hot and, through their own incompetence, spilt some on their pants, AND end up winning a multi-million dollar lawsuit, I would have said that was outrageous too...and still think so.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here