Friday, June 03, 2005

Modern Day Slavery

I sort of knew that there are women and children (and probably some men too) who are taken against their will and used in the international sex industry or in sweatshops. I figured that happened in other parts of the world and I never thought that the numbers of people who were violated in this way could be that high. Then I read this news story.

The State Department estimates that 600,000 to 800,000 men, women and children are trafficked across international borders against their will each year. Many victims are forced into prostitution, sweatshops, domestic labor, farm work or child armies. About 80 percent of trafficking victims are women and girls, with a large majority forced into the sex industry. About 50 percent are minors, the report found.... The State Department estimates that 14,500 to 17,500 people are trafficked into the United States each year.

That's a lot of people suffering in slavery. I just never realized what a huge problem this is. I've always thought of slavery as something from the past but that's a naive thought apparently. Of course, the article's main point is that some of our allies in the Iraq War are the worst offenders. That's not good, but still the main point in my mind is the simple fact that this is happening at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here