Tuesday, November 22, 2005

A major change

I am going back to work full time.

I had thought I might do that next fall when Rachel starts kindergarten, but an opportunity came up now and I feel I should grab it while I have the chance. I am excited about going back to work - I have missed it - but I am also very sad that my career as a stay-at-home dad is coming to an end. It's been the best job I've ever hard and easily the most difficult. There's no manual for being a dad. I made my share of mistakes, but I think overall I've done a good job. So why go back to work? Well, it's just too tough to make it on one income. We've stretched ourselves to the limit to give the kids these three year of full time parenting and that's really all we can do. Costs have risen each year and salaries really haven't kept up. Even if I didn't find this full time job, I would have had to find evening jobs that would have resulted in Sharon and I seeing each other mostly on weekends. That's no way to live. Rachel's ready for kindergarten right now, so I am sure she'll handle the change without any problems. Sami will be two in January and she's getting more and more independent all the time. I think she's ready.

I am not going to publicly post about exactly what the job is until I get settled in for a little while. But suffice it to say I am happy with it.

But what a change this is going to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here