Tuesday, December 28, 2004

The tsunami

I've always thought the word "tsunami" sounded pretty funny. Not so much anymore. I can't believe we lost over 33,000 people in no time at all. I have heard that huge numbers of the victims were children, which just makes it more heartbreaking.

Look at this kid's face. He's one of the lucky ones. His name is Karl Nilsson of Lulo, Sweden and he's holding a sign saying his parent and brothers are missing. Breaks your heart.



I will say this, though. The internet proved again how well connected this world is. Read this story about the two year old Swedish boy whose uncle saw his picture on the internet and flew to him. The boy's mother and grandmother are missing.

I have a friend who lives in Thailand. I was really worried about him, but it turns out he was here in the United States visiting family for the holidays when the tsunami hit. Still, he has to head back into that devastation and help pick up the pieces.

If you want to help, you can go here or here.

2 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, January 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anybody know if Karl Nilsson found any of his family? I think it's amazing that he said he "could breathe". I guess his guardian angel was there for him.

 
At 4:43 PM, January 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1/8/05 My name is Leighan and I am looking for any information on Karl Nilsson, the 7 yrs old from Sweden, that survived the tsunami. Has he found any family? gone back to Sweden? Please email me at:
phoenix210@juno(dot)com.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here