Monday, December 20, 2004

Movies

Over the weekend, I saw two movies, The Bourne Supremecy and Before Sunset.

I liked Bourne Supremecy. It wasn't deep and thought provoking, but I wasn't expecting it to be. Matt Damon proved he is a pretty talented actor. He's no Johnny Depp, but he's got a good idea of what to do. Of course, this requires my assumption that he was going for a robotic like portrayal, which did fit with the character. And he did let the blank machine facade slip at a few appropriate moments, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. And besides the movie had Joan Allen in it. Any movie with Joan gets a thumbs up from me.

Before Sunset was a good movie, too. Sharon and I watched the first movie, Before Sunrise, many years ago. We liked it a lot. Spoilers ahead - don't read any further if you don't want to be spoiled! A young man and woman meet in Venice, spend the night together, forge a deep connection and, since they had to part, promise to meet again in 6 months. At the end, you are left wondering whether they will actually meet in 6 months as they promised. Both Sharon and I felt something would come up and they wouldn't be able to keep their date. We found out in Before Sunset that we were right. Both have been haunted by that night an neither is happy with their current life - she's never had a lasting relationship and he's unhappily married with a kid. At the end of the second movie we are again left wondering if they'll stay together or break apart again.

My opinion is they do decide to have the affair and it blows up in their faces. They end up unhappier because of it. Am I a cynic? I don't think so. Is there an internet test for cynicism?

1 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, December 20, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.beliefnet.com/section/quiz/index.asp?sectionID=&surveyID=53

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here