Friday, January 07, 2005

Damn vertigo

So I woke up this morning feeling a little dizzy. The last time I felt a little dizzy, it lead to me being completely out of commission for half the day. My doctor gave me valium to take if I felt the vertigo coming on, so for the first time, I took one. I feel a little sleepy. The vertigo disappeared before it got bad.

I don't like taking valium. For one thing, the nurse told me I shouldn't drive for eight hours. That stinks. I had somewhere I wanted to go today and that plan is shot to hell. But even more than that, I have this ... prejudice against valium. When I was a kid, I had a good friend whose mother was on valium. She was out of it much of the time and her son got away with a lot. That contributed to a number of his problems later on, I think. And so valium became this evil drug in my mind and I don't like the idea of putting anything in my body that could have that sort of effect on me.

This picture I found isn't helping:

edited out the picture of a flying brain.

I don't want my brain to start flying.

Okay, I just did some googling on Valium.

Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Valium (diazepam) will cause drowsiness and may cause dizziness. If you experience drowsiness or dizziness, avoid these activities.

It says it may cause dizziness. I am taking it to prevent dizziness! I am confused. I think I have to call my doctor.

Okay, did some more Googling. My doctor knows what he's talking about according to this website.

VERTIGO MEDICATIONS

Use of medications such as Antivert (Meclizine) is usually of no benefit in true Meniere's Disease, even if it helps in other balance disorders. However, Valium (Diazepam) and other Benzodiazepines have a direct effect on the nerve controlling balance and its central connections to the brain. When Valium is given at the onset of a vertigo attack, it can prevent the attack from continuing. (N.B. Valium and similar medications should not be taken daily, because they may be habit forming.)

I am sure there are people out there who feel my prejudice against valium is wrong, but the fact is I just don't like taking drugs of any kind.* I don't even like taking advil. Just ask Sharon. This is a typical conversation:

Me: "My head hurts."

Sharon: "Did you take some advil?"

Me: "No. medicine makes me feel ookey."

Sharon: "You never use words like ookey."

Me: "I know, but this conversation was going to be more boring than I expected when I started typing it, so I decided to spice it up a little."

Sharon: "Ookey is not a spice."

Me: "Actually, ookey is a little known Scandanavian spice used by the Vikings to give their foods a spicier taste which in turn made them feel warm on those long longboat excursions to the New World."

Sharon: "You totally made that up."

Me: "I did not!"

Sharon: "This is just like the origin of neckties story."

Me: "That one is true!"

Sharon: "AH HAH! You admit the ookey spice story is false!"

Hmm, yeah, I got off the subject there, didn't I?

Anyway. I am currently on Valium. And unhappy about it.



* There is a disclaimer to this statement, but my mom might read this, so we'll leave it at that.

3 Comments:

At 4:39 PM, January 07, 2005, Blogger greenman said...

too bad you're not playing poker. I'd could really clean up playing against someone who would blurt out that their hand was "ookey"

 
At 6:59 PM, January 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Actually, ookey is a little known Scandanavian spice used by the Vikings to give their foods a spicier taste which in turn made them feel warm on those long longboat excursions to the New World."

And I'm a werewolf too!

 
At 7:25 PM, January 07, 2005, Blogger Matt said...

All of those comments made me chuckle to varying degrees.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here