Wednesday, March 23, 2005

American Idol thoughts

Apparently, they showed the wrong numbers last night so there will be a re-vote tonight after a replay of last night's performances. Elimination happens on Thursday. Story is here.

Last night there were truly remarkable performances. And one absolutely awful performance. Let's get the one that hurt my ears out of the way first. Mikalah Gordon, your time is up. There is no way you deserve to be in this competition any longer. You were completely out of tune (and if I notice that, you're really in trouble) and boring to boot. If she doesn't go home Thursday, it will be the worst moment in American Idol history.

Onto the good performers!


First of all, Constantine performed the song "I Think I Love You" by the Partridge Family. I was sure he was doomed when they announced that. But I loved his performance. Paula got it right when she said he has the best showmanship on stage. He was unique and entertaining. Not the best singer there, but easily one of the best performers.


I finally understand the hype surrounding Carrie Underwood (or as Rachel calls her - Carrie Underwear. This is followed by lots of giggles...). She performed "Alone" by Heart and she was incredible. She did look a little scared up there and I wonder if she was nervous doing a song outside her country comfort zone. She doesn't need to worry. I am a believer now.


Bo Bice performed one of my favorite songs - "Time in a Bottle" by Jim Croce. It has a special place in my heart as my sister sang it for us at my wedding. Bo proved again that he's got star power. Simon said it best when he noted that Bo doesn't seem to be in a competition. He has already arrived. I think he's going to be a big star whether he wins or not.


Jessica Sierra was also excellent singing "Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Tyler. If she can find some consistency, she'll make it to the end.

Quick Thoughts: Anthony was good, Scott was okay if you closed your eyes, and Nikko and Vonzell were fine. Nadia Turner turned in her weakest performance yet and her hairstyle made me think she was an extra from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. I hope she rebounds next week. Anwar was surprisingly bland.

The bottom three will probably be Mikaylah, Anwar, and a surprise... Nadia! I don't think Nadia's fan base is that big and with a performance as bad as that, I think she's due for a wake up call. One week in the bottom three ought to do it. And Mikalah had better be gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here