Monday, June 27, 2005

Church, you go to that corner. State, over there.

I think this was a good decision. I know some argue that the moral system upon which our legal system rests is based on the Ten Commandments, so not allowing them in courtrooms is foolish, but I disagree with that because of those pesky first three commandments (liberally paraphrased):

1) Only one God
2) Don't take the Lord's name in vain
3) Go to Church

Those are not univeral beliefs that everyone shares and it's wrong for a state which represents us all to suggest support for those ideas. If they wanted to put these commandments up, I'd have no problem with it:

4) Honor Mom and Dad
5) Don't kill anyone
6) Honor your marraige vows
7) Don't steal stuff
8) Don't lie to or about other people.

But then we get to the last two:

9) Don't desire your neighbor's wife
10) Don't desire your neighbor's stuff

How does one turn off desires? I agree that one shouldn't act on those negative desires, but it's impossible to stop yourself from having them in the first place.

Anyway, my point is, I firmly believe in the separation of church and state and am glad to see the Supreme Court is upholding that important tenet, especially these days since our President is a religious zealot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here