Thursday, July 14, 2005

Training and a secret...

After I finish recounting yesterday's training, I'll share one of my hiking secrets. It's exciting! Heh.

So yesterday, after dinner, I felt I should get out there and hike. But I really didn't want to. I mean, I REALLY didn't want to. I procrastinated. Sharon asked me if I was really going. Finally, I put the boots on, grabbed the Survivor buff, and treked to the car, backpack in hand. This was an important obstacle to overcome. I didn't want to hike, but I did it anyway because I knew I needed to if I'm going to have any chance of actually completing the planned hike on the Appalachian Trail this year. And I'd really like to finish it as our plan is to get to Clingman's Dome, the highest point of the AT.


Sunset at Clingman's Dome

Yesterday, I climbed the one steep part three times and was feeling a burn in my legs on the last one. But I felt pretty good overall. Next time I may just go up and down the steep part five or six times. And I think I'm going to add some more weight to my pack. I have close to 30 pounds now and if I add another five to ten pounds, I'll definitely be carrying more than I will when I'm actually hiking. When I get on the AT, my pack will feel light, right? Right?

Okay, onto one of Matt's secrets of hiking. Are you ready?







Ta Da!



That's right. When I have a huge mountain ahead of me, I reach into my pack and grab a fruit rollup. There's just something about the fruity goodness that keeps my feet moving. I love the whole process of peeling the fruit from the cellophane, mushing it into a ball, and popping it into my mouth. I savor the gush of sweetness for as long as I can. And even after the rollup is gone, the taste lingers and inspires me to keep climbing.

I should be in a commercial for fruit rollups, shouldn't I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here