Saturday, December 31, 2005

2005 and 2006

2005 has been just a wild and crazy year. I suppose the biggest event of last year was Dreamwell's move to the Old Capitol Mall space and overcoming the challenges that presented. I have to say what I am most proud of last year is the way our board of directors fought through adversity that would have destroyed a weaker group. The end result is was the most successful season in the the theater's history. Not too shabby.

The girls continue to grow and change and become more amazing every day, to this biased Dad's view anyway. Rachel excelled at soccer over the summer to the extent that the mom of one of her friends mentions it every time I see her. I found it very strange to be cheering so vigorously at a preschooler's soccer game, but that comes with the parent territory, I guess. Samantha has grown so much this past year. For a while she was very small for her age and the doctor was a little worried, so we worked hard to get her to eat lots and get her weight up. These days, while still small, she is back in the "norm". She's talking like crazy now and wants to do everything Rachel does. "Me too!" is her favorite phrase.

I ended up working four different jobs this year (three part time gigs), including a new full time job in the financial aid office at Kirkwood College. My first two weeks of that job went well and then I got a week off before we start again January 3rd. It's good in some ways to be back in the workforce, but I miss staying home with the girls a lot. Still, we have to do what's best for the family and making it on one income was simply not going to work anymore.

I once again hiked a part of the Appalachian Trail with my brothers, and while again we didn't get very far, it was still a rewarding adventure. And we went white water rafting which was a lot of fun.

As I look forward to 2006, I see family, theatre, and work as the main stories I'll chronicle. I look forward to getting Rachel ready for kindergarten next fall. She is her own little person with a very definite personality - strong willed, dramatic, and full of energy. And I can't wait to watch Sami's vocabulary grow along with her independence. Her personality is starting to really shine through. Sami is quiet and holds back a little bit. She's very helpful all the time. I think she has a very generous nature. Sharon and I continue to grow stronger together. Every day I reminded of how lucky I am to have her in my life. I feel I can accomplish anything so long as I have Sharon on my side.

The theatre is going to have to overcome some serious challenges next year. Our home for the past six months is going away, so the search for a new space is priority number one. I really believe we have an excellent board who will able to see us through these challenges. I am scheduled to direct a show - Kimberly Akimbo - and I'm really looking forward to that. I may try to find some time to act as well, unless Sharon wants to. She needs to get back on the stage. No one remembers that Sharon is an extremely talented actress because it's been over five years since she's done anything.

My new job in the financial aid office is exciting to me because I'll be able to really help people. Paying for college is not easy and being the person who assists students find a way to make it affordable will be very gratifying. It's good to be making money doing something worthwhile.

2005 had some of the most difficult moments I've ever faced (Dreamwell's non-opening and the aftermath), but after surviving that, I feel I can survive anything. It also had some of the highest moments of my life - the amazing success this little theater I started achieved in 2005 was overwhelming to such a degree I can't really put it into words. The highest of the highs and the lowest of the lows. Crazy, crazy year.

Here's to 2006!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here