Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Working out

I have never been an "exerciser". I've never "worked out". Every spring for the last few years, I have prepared for my annual hiking trip by hiking the hills around here with a lot of weight on my back. And I do exercises to build up strength in my knees. But that's about it. This year, I have had access to my work's rec center. There's a large indoor track, lots of machines, a weight room, and basketball courts. With this new job, it's hard to find time to get out to the woods for the hiking training, but I can fit in a half hour or so at the Rec Center three times each week. So I've been running. I have always enjoyed running. Back in high school, lo those many years ago, I ran a six minute mile. It's been slow going getting back into running shape though. My first time out a few weeks ago, I could only run 3/4 mile. Last week I ran a mile and timed myself at right around ten minutes. Today I decided to push myself and ran a mile in 8 minutes. Not too shabby. I've also been strengthening my legs with one of the machines. I am really enjoying it, too. I have always enjoyed doing physical stuff within certain paremeters. Playing football with my nephews and brothers is a lot of fun. Hiking the AT, of course, is satisfying. I'll never be a jock (ha!), but I do enjoy exploring that side of me from time to time. With the rec center so convenient (not to mention free!), I may keep working out past my hike this year. As I get older, it's more important than ever to get into shape.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here