Sunday, April 16, 2006

Ah, Rachel...

The other day, I was driving Rachel to preschool and she asked me if God made the tornados. I told her I wasn't sure (because you know, I'm really not).

She said with a little annoyance in her voice, "Come on, Dad, can't you just make a guess?"

This is why it's tough to raise kids in a culture permeated by religion when you're not religious. I did make a guess, by the way. I told that while God didn't create the tornados that hit our little town, he probably did create the world and everything in it and that included tornados that pop up from time to time. She seemed satisfied with that answer.

Another Rachel moment... she was asking me about dying Easter eggs. I told her that we don't really celebrate Easter, no one in our family actually likes eggs, and so we probably wouldn't be dying any eggs.

"But Dad," she says in her wheedling voice, "it's fun for the whole family!"

Fortunately, they did Easter eggs at preschool. I have to wonder if there were any Jewish parents who were a little uncomfortable when their kid brought home an Easter egg.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here