Thursday, September 30, 2004

Corvis? Who dat?

I've been in online communities for about three and a half years now. All that time, I have gone by the psuedonym Corvis. It started with Survivor spoiling communities. I've belonged to a few different ones. I still do, in fact. So the name Corvis means something in those communities because that's who I was. I used to be very protective of my real identity online. I was worried about crazy cyber stalker people. There was a time early on in the Survivor spoiling game when that wasn't such a strange fear. But these days... enh. If people want to find me or my family, it's not hard at all. I think having a fake name on these boards immediately separates us from each other. After awhile, we share real first names, but why make people work so hard to get there? If we met in the Java House, would we offer fake names? No. I'd say, "Hi, my name is Matt. Nicetameetcha."

Why are there different rules for the internet? Because it's so easy to pretend to be someone other than who you really are, I suppose. We fear that other people are lying to us so we hide behind clever names. Lie first because they're lying too! We keep ourselves hidden because of fear while we wait to see if it's safe to come out and play. Well, screw fear. I want to play.

My name is Matt Falduto.

Nicetameetcha.

1 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, October 04, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, if someone really wants to find out who you are, or wants to pose as you online, it's really not that difficult if they just put a little effort towards it.

I think a lot of it has to do with self-image, too. Many people use the internet as a way to pretend to be someone they're not, or to act in ways they wouldn't normally act. The anonymity of the internet allows them to do this. Even though I do usually use a clever nickname while online, I don't usually hide my real identity. Why? I guess even on my bad days I've always been happy enough with the person I am that I don't feel the need to hide it.

--Matt Falduto

Er, I mean
--Dieter

PS. I still think you should come do your blogging at Livejournal so I don't have to consciously remember to come read your stuff. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here