Saturday, October 23, 2004

Vote!

I voted early today at the Coralville Public Library. I know that voting on election day would be tough with the two kids in tow, so this worked well for me. It was pretty fast and efficient, but I found it strange that no one asked to see my ID. All I had to do was tell the nice woman my name and address. She found me on her computer and gave me a few things to sign. Never once did I have to produce a picture ID or my voter registration card. Sharon, who is reading over my shoulder, says Iowa does not require picture ID because the requirement discriminates against people who don't have a driver's license. Who, besides transplanted New Yorkers, doesn't have a license?

I am sure it will come as no surprise that I voted for John Kerry. I also voted for Dave Franker over Jim Leach. Probably he doesn't have much of a chance, but what the heck. However, instead of voting for Art Small, I chose to vote for the Green Party candidate - Daryl Northrup. There was no doubt I wasn't voting for Chuck Grassley who was largely responsible for bringing the moronic Iowa Pork Forest to my town. Small doesn't have a chance to unseat Grassley, so I figure I'd vote for the third party candidate. Heck, the Press Citizen endorsed Northrup.

So VOTE EARLY! Why not?

5 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, October 23, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey ... I have a driver's license! :-P

Mystery Transplanted New Yorker Chick

 
At 1:05 PM, October 25, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel kinda the opposite -- I don't vote until Election Day because stuff could happen. Someone could say something dumb, or a big secret could be unearthed, or (fickle creature that I am) I might just change my mind. My father has been pushing the absentee ballot idea, but I figure, why vote before I have to? I'm willing to run the risk of some weird Florida-esque situation in return for the chance to absorb every scrap of information up until the last dog is hung. You know, as it were.

-M-

 
At 8:41 PM, October 25, 2004, Blogger Sara said...

Glad to hear that you voted for Kerry. I also agree on the Art Small issue. I cannot bring myself to vote for Grassley...I never like when an election is a given and that is the case here. I think these politicians should be questioned and challenged, but senators are the worst...once they are in, they never leave without a scandal and that is rare.
You should read http://coffeetalking.blogspot.com/
She is moving to Iowa. She is different than us politically, but interesting to read. She was not happy about the Des Moines Register endorsing Kerry.

 
At 1:54 PM, October 27, 2004, Blogger Matt said...

Am I the only person who routinely forgets to check to see if people have left comment on their blog?

I just saw these comments today.

Matt, I get ya on the wait to the last minute thing. In this case, Kerry would have had to found guilty of working for Al Queda for me to vote for anyone else. So this year, an early vote works for me.

Sara, I read coffetalking sometimes! It is an interesting read. Thanks for stopping by.

 
At 3:21 PM, November 02, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

RE: lack of driver's license, that's an odd thought. even if you don't drive or have a license, you can get a non-driver ID. it's rather useful, for all applications ordinarily filled by a license... except for the driving part. David had one for several years.

Robyn M-K

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here