Monday, November 08, 2004

Football

What a football filled Sunday.

We went to Illinois on Saturday for a birthday party. My oldest is turning 4 this month as are three of her cousins. We decided to have one big party for all of them. We arrived at the brunch party around 10 am. I immediately was pulled into a game of flag football with my nephew and two nieces, as well as my older brother and our father. It was a fun game. I got an interception and Allison, my niece, ran for a touchdown. I would have had a couple of touchdown passes, but my 6' 2" brother kept knocking the ball away. Ah, to be over six feet tall...

A few hours later, a number of us piled into my other brother's van and were on our way to my 14 year old nephew's championship football game. Chris' team not only hadn't lost a game all season, but they'd never allowed a single point to be scored against them. They were pretty confident, I think. However, the other team had only lost one game (to Chris' team) and had only allowed something like 20 points all season. At this age, they don't pass the ball much - it's all about the running game. Chris' team just couldn't get going. A couple of turnovers lead to scores for the other team and suddenly, for the first time all season, Chris' team had to play catchup. They weren't able to pull it off. Hopefully, they learned a lesson that you just never know what's going to happen. No team is invincible. And after a season like that, I am sure they were pretty darn proud of themselves, too.

It was a lot of fun watching the game. I was running up and down the sidelines following the play. The kids played tough, lots of good hitting.

After the game, we headed back to my brother's house for cake and one more football game - the Bears. I have been a Bears fan since 1985, that fabled Superbowl season. It's not alway easy being a Bears fan, but I believe that you don't give up on your team just because things aren't going well. After all, I grew up among Cubs fans. Anyway, yesterday Bears game was not going well early on. We were down by 14 points in the second quarter and hadn't gotten anything going on offense. There was golf on another channel and my Dad said the Bears were done and we should switch it. I said no way. You don't give up on a team just because they're losing.

And fifteen minutes later, the Bears were up 20-14 at the half. They held onto win 28-21. Go Bears!

I like the rookie QB - Krenzel. He's a winner and with some more experience I think he could be a good QB for the Bears since their focus is defense. Damn, that Bears defense is strong. They sacked Kurt Warner seven times, forced two fumbles, had two interceptions, and scored once.

GO BEARS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here