Saturday, November 06, 2004

The room spins

When I was 6 years old, I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease. At the time, there was only one or two other cases of children with the disease. Mostly it hits people in their 50s. Meniere's is characterized by hearing fluctuations and loss, whirling vertigo, and ringing in the ears (tinnitus). I don't remember the whirling vertigo, as that was corrected with an endolymphatic shunt operation the summer I turned seven. The operation also prevented the hearing fluctuations. In the end, I had one ear that worked fine (the right) and one ear that was pretty much useless (the left). And so I lived for many years until now.

Because yesterday I had what may have been whirling vertigo complete with lots of vomiting. I am not sure - I don't remember what it was like when I was a child. But my description of it matches the description I've read and my doctor described to me. I went to the doctor and he diagnosed it as an inner ear infection, which is possible, except that supposed to last for a few days. Not the case for me. I feel fine today. I have no physical ailments.

So is the Meniere's coming back (not that it ever really left)? I don't know. But I have an appointment on Monday with my ear doctor. Back to the salt free diet and the diaretic, I imagine.

I am a little worried.

3 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, November 06, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ali here.

sounds like Meniere's to me. that's exactly what I go thru - it can last for as little as a few minutes to a few days.

you aren't having any hearing loss/fluctuations with the good ear? if you do, suggest to your doctor that you try (evil, awful, horrible drug) prednisone (but it works). who is your doctor anyway? You live in IC - go see Dr. Bruce Gantz, the hearing/balance disorder god.

btw, I apologize for all those years where you'd try to make everyone sit on your good side and no one ever remembered. I get it now ;)

 
At 9:44 PM, November 06, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Kimber. I'm crossing my fingers for you. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

 
At 10:55 AM, November 08, 2004, Blogger Matt said...

Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone.

I talked to my long time ear doctor in Illinois over the weekend and he said he'd be surprised if it were Meniere's because it'd be strange to have it resurface after 26 years. He still insisted I go the ear doctor here in town and get checked out. I have had zero symptons since Friday. I feel great, in fact. It's all very strange.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here