Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Idols Butcher Musicals

How could they mess this up sooooo badly? Stupid question, really. Listening to the interviews before they sang, it became clear that, with the exception of Constantine, none of these morons had ever actually seen a musical or knew anything about genre. They consistently picked the worst songs from various shows. And when they did pick a great song, they butchered it. I'm looking at you, Scott Criminal.

All right, let's go through it, step by painful step. There were a couple of bright spots. And when I say a couple, I mean, literally two.

The evening got off to a rough start with Ryan Seacrest's ridiculous shirt. The black and white random pattern gave me a headache. But what really drove me nuts was Scott Savol ruining my favorite song from my favorite musical. He sang Impossible Dream from Man of la Mancha and from the first note, I knew he had earned my Least Favorite Contestant Ever award. Mikayla, give him the ribbon. You don't seem nearly as annoying next to that atrocity. He couldn't hit the notes; he sounded like he didn't even recognize what the notes were supposed to be, and he had no passion, none. I was in physical pain listening to him slowly but surely pound my favorite song into oblivion. I hated it. Ohio, you are the home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. You have a responsibility NOT to let this loser continue in this competition. Stop voting for him!



Carrie was so boring, I couldn't keep my eyes open. And she chose one of the worst songs from The King and I - Hello Young Lovers. There are many more interesting songs from that musical. And there are many more interesting musicals!

I have tried to be a fan of Anthony, but I am sorry. I am off the Tony Train now. That was horrendous. Climb Every Mountain!?! What was he thinking? Plus, he messed up the lyric in the first line. He sang "Climb every mountain, ford every tree..." Ford a tree, Anthony? How exactly does one do that? The only reason I don't want to see Anthony to go home this week is because I'd rather see Scott Criminal crash and burn.

Nikko Smith sang One Hand, One Heart from West Side Story. Please. There are a million better songs from that musical too. I suppose Nikko isn't bad, but I can't stand his high pitched voice. He sings every song the same way. He bores me.

Anwar did a decent job with his song, but I can't stand the song: If Ever I Would Leave You from Camelot. Camelot is one of the worst popular musicals every made. The songs are boring, the story is trite and there's really nothing redeeming about it. Pick a song from a good musical. How about Rent? Or Wicked? Or Hair? Or Grease? Or Tommy? Or Fiddler? Or Les Mis, Jesus Christ Superstar, or even Miss Saigon! Not freakin' Camelot.

Bo chose Corner of the Sky from Pippen, which was a good choice finally. Still it was a blow down the house performance. Why he didn't pick a song from Tommy or Rent, I will never understand.



Nadia Turner ended the evening with As Long As He Needs Me from Oliver. Again, pick a better song from Oliver. Still, Nadia was okay. Not memorable, but okay.

I skipped two performances because I wanted to end on a positive note. Constantine and Vonzell were both quite good. Constantine sang My Funny Valentine from Babes in Arms. He did an amazing job with the song, hit the notes, pulled you into the performance, and sold the song. That is something other competitors fail to do week after week, especially Carrie. She couldn't give a song away let alone sell one. Constantine probably won't win this competition, but he'll have a career after this, no doubt about it. As an actor and singer, he'll have a wealth of opportunities in all different areas. I hope he chooses well.



And finally, Vonzell. Each week she gets better and better. She is growing while many of the other performances are stuck at the same level. For some, like Bo, that level is so high, it doesn't matter yet. However, if Vonzell continues rising each week, she could end up winning this thing. She sang People from Funny Girl and damn that girl was right on top of that song. She has the presence and the pipes.



Bottom three should be: Anthony, Scott, and either Carrie or Nikko. It probably will be Nadia, Anwar, and Anthony with blondie finally getting booted. My personal wish is for Scott to disappear from stage forever. But those damn Ohioans are messing that up.

My favorites:
Nadia, because I know she still has it in her.
Vonzell, because she gets better every week.
Bo, because he's the most professional singer out there.
Constantine, because he's the smartest guy out there and proves it every week by picking just the right song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here