Monday, May 09, 2005

Dweeze's questions

I am taking part in an interview meme that I came across while reading Dweeze's blog. The blogger gets questions from someone else, posts the answers on his blog, and then opens it up to others to ask for questions. (The rules are posted at the bottom of the post.)

1. If you had to choose between never directing again and never acting again, which would you choose and why?

This is a far harder choice than I thought it would be. I haven't done nearly as much directing so I don't want to give it up before I'd have the chance to really sink my teeth into it. But still, I would probably choose "never directing again", I think. I just enjoy acting more because of the rush of performing. And I think I as I get older there will be some really interesting roles for me to play. And I am a better actor than director (at least at this point) and, while I love challenges, if am I forced to choose, I'd rather do what I am best at.

2. What would you like your daughters to know about you? (Not necessarily right now, but when they are older.)

Everything. I want them to know about my childhood, the mistakes I made, and the things I did well. I would like to be an open book to them. I don't want them to have to wonder what their dad is like. I want them to know me very well.

3. What is your proudest moment unrelated to either your immediate family (Sharon and the girls) or theatre?

Tough question. So many of my best moments have been tied to family and the theater. Oh wait, this is easier than I thought. I once wrote a 50+ page epic poem about a boy who survives the destruction of his city and wanders into the forests and mountains until he finally finds another human being. Finishing that poem, which is one of the finest things I've ever written, is my proudest moment that doesn't relate to family or theater. Oh, and the poem is entitled Survivor. Yes, it was long before the reality TV show came along.

4. What teacher (or professor) had the greatest impact on your life? Why?

None of my college ones. I barely remember their names. I would have to say Ms. Guenevere Olson, my 9th and 12th grade english teacher. As a freshman in high school, I struggled because I didn't fit in and I was so upset about that that I didn't work hard in my classes. Even the ones I liked, which included Ms. Olson's English class. At the end of the year, I realized I was not going to pass the class because I had not completed the research paper on Huckleberry Finn. I was actually going to fail and not become a sophmore. This was ... completely ... unbelievable. I had always been a good student. Always. I totally panicked. My parents were extremely upset. I pleaded with Ms. Olson to pass me, but of course, she wouldn't do that, but what she did was far better. Ms. Olson, recognizing that I might be worth a second chance, told me I could write the paper over the summer and if it was good enough, she would pass me. She gave me a second chance when I really needed one. I didn't let her down. I completed the paper, although by the time I handed it in, I hated it. But it was good enough to earn a passing grade and I became a sophmore with the rest of my class. I learned a lot from that. Generally speaking, people deserve a second chance. But you shouldn't just get a second chance - you have to earn it. And it helped my self esteem to know that Ms. Olson thought I was a worth a second chance. And when I had Ms. Olson for 12th grade English, I was able to show her how far I had come. That was a great feeling.

5. What place would you really like to go to that you have never visited?

There are so many places. I want to visit Ireland because my family comes from there and I have relatives living there now. I would also like to visit Italy for the same reason. However, I think I would most like to visit the places where Jesus and his followers lived. For me, there are many unanswered questions about Jesus and that period of time and I would think that being there I might find some answers. Incidentally, I've been researching the Gnostics and the differences between those groups and what became the Catholic Church. Fascinating stuff. I will have to blog about it soon.


And now the rules for those of you interested in being interviewed:

1. Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me."

2. I will respond by asking you five questions of my choosing.

3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions. If you don't have a blog, you can post your responses in my comments section.

4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post, following the same rules.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here