Sunday, August 28, 2005

New Orleans

As you have probably heard, New Orleans has been evacuated because Hurricane Katrina is on its way.

A statement from the National Weather Service in Slidell, near New Orleans, Louisiana, warned that much of the affected area "will be uninhabitable for weeks, perhaps longer." Low-rise, wood-frame buildings will be destroyed, and concrete apartment buildings "will sustain major damage," it said. "High-rise office and apartment buildings will sway dangerously, a few to the point of total collapse," the warning read. "All windows will blow out. Airborne debris will be widespread, and may include heavy items such as household appliances and even light vehicles."

I love New Orleans. Sharon and I went there for our honeymoon. We spent a week investigating the city, especially the French Quarter. What an absolutely fun and unique place. That was one of the best weeks of my life. We have talked about going back at some point. Our tenth anniversary is a little over a year away and that's one of the options.

I also have a cousin who lives in New Orleans. I hope she and her two kids were part of the mass exodus and not among the people who sought shelter in the Superdome.

Stay strong New Orleans. We're all pulling for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here