Tuesday, March 14, 2006

American Idol - thoughts about the top 12

It was a pretty big shocker last week when Kevin Covais made it through to the top 12. No one, not even Kevin who looked completely shocked, expected him to slide through. Gideon, who has an amazing voice, was cut instead. And that just goes to show that it's not all about the singing. I thought Gideon's personality was very fake and I'm betting he just didn't connect with the audience the way Kevin did. The other male casualty last week was Will Makar. He wasn't bad and I was little surprised he didn't make it through.

As for the women, Kinnick and Ayla got the axe. I won't really miss either one, but I was a little sad Ayla didn't go further. She was crying and that's always too bad. Plus, there won't be any more fun shots of her towering over Ryan Seacrest. Fortunately, Rachel's favorite, Melissa made it through. I was worried I'd have a crying five year old on my hands. Instead I had a girl jumping for joy.

So who do I like?

That's easy. Chris Daughtry, the rocker with the soulful voice. He's one of only a few who are complete performers. Add to that his choice of songs and the rock edge and he's easily at the front of the pack in my eyes.

For the women, Mandisa is the front runner. Like Chris, she's a polished performer with the vocal chops to match. She's as good as Chris is, perhaps better in some ways, and so it just comes down to personal preference. I like Chris better but I could understand how Mandisa could be someone else's top choice.

As for the others... what happened to Paris? She was good at the beginning but she's just coasted the last two weeks. I would have liked to see her get the boot before the top 12. The girl needs a wake up call. And the other young one - Lisa - is wilting under the pressure. I think they'll both be gone pretty soon. And would someone explain the fascination with Bucky? I can't stand him. He's Bo Bice-Lite. I mean, really, really lite. Finally, Kellie Pickler cannot go home soon enough. She is not a good singer. The ONLY reason she's still around is that fake innocent personality thing she's milking. And Simon, of course, is making it worse by encouraging this BS. Every season there's a cute girl who's not that talented that Simon takes a shine to and she gets further than she should. Last year, Carrie was Simon's girl and she won. A travesty.

Tonight is Stevie Wonder music. I am not thrilled. I don't think Stevie has 12 good songs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here