Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Amazing Race and American Idol

SPOILERS FOR THE AMAZING RACE AHEAD. TANMAN, DON'T READ ANY FURTHER!






Let's start with the Race. It was a great finish. Uchenna and Joyce, after arriving last at the penultimate pit stop and losing all of their money and possessions, came from behind to win it, narrowly defeating Rob and Amber. Ron and Kelly finished a distant third.

There is, however, a controversy brewing. Rob and Amber made it on a flight to Miami, Florida ahead of Uchenna and Joyce. Uchenna and Joyce raced to the departure gate only to discover that the flight was closed. They even removed the runway from the airport to the plane. There was no chance of getting on the flight. Cut to commercial. When we return, we discover that the pilot decided to let them on and the plane actually taxis back to the gate. Um. Hrm. That sort of thing just never happens. A lot of people are suggesting the producers had a hand in it because otherwise Rob and Amber would have won easily and the finish would have been boring. I hate to align with conspiracy theorists, but I would be surprised if the producers didn't have a hand in it.

And here's what really burns me up. Having Rob and Amber win it by making that plane would not have been anti-climatic, it just would have placed the climax a little bit earlier than usual. They could have done a great ending as Rob and Amber triumphantly move from clue to clue to finally win the Race they deserved to win by being the best racers ever. So I am a little disappointed in that sense.

Still, Uchenna and Joyce are great people and it was great to see them win it. I think despite the probable producer manuevering, this has been my favorite season of the Amazing Race.


Moving on to American Idol. I loved last night's show for one reason and one reason only. Anthony Federov and Carrie Underwood sang the same song - If You Don't Know Me By Now - and his performance blew hers away. In fact, both of Anthony's performances were great. I think I liked him better than anyone else last night, even Bo.

Carrie was not bad at singing the country song (Sin Wagon), but Amy Adams did a better version last year. She's still the Carriebot, devoid of emotion or full of forced emotion that doesn't ring true.

Bo bored me on the first song (Travis Tritt's A Great Day to Be Alive), but he still sounded good. His second song (don't know the title) was much better, but still I wasn't blown away like I have been in the past. Rachel still loved him, however. "I'm a Bo girl!" she said.

Vonzell was pretty bad on the first song (How Do I Live) and Paula played a sympathy card for her during the judge comment section by alluding to some really emotional event that affected her performance. I would love to know what the heck she was talking about. Vonzell's second song (Don't Leave Me This Way) was much better.

I already mentioned that Anthony nailed If You Don't Know Me By Now, but he also gave us an excellent performance of I'm Already There by Lonestar. I definitely think this was Anthony's best night. His voice, when he's hitting it, sounds like Dennis DeYoung's voice. I hope Anthony squeezes through this week. My dream is to see Carrie go home tonight, but her fanbase is huge, so she's probably safe.

Still Constantine went home when everyone thought he was safe....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here