Sunday, July 16, 2006

More Appalachian Trail Pictures

Here are my brother John's pictures from our Appalachian Trail hike in the Smokies this year.




John and Jim at Fontana Lake on day two of the hike.




John and me hanging out in one of the shelters.



This is me on the AT on day three, I think.



On our last day, Jim hiked very quickly with the single minded purpose of getting to the car as quickly as possible. John and I hiked at a more leisurely pace. This is me at around 5500 feet up in a grassy clearing where we decided to rest for a little while.



Here we are at the top of Clingman's Dome, the highest point on the Appalachian Trail at 6,643 feet.

It's not easy to climb those mountains. Oftentimes, it's a matter of just focusing on your feet moving one step at a time up the mountain trail and blocking out the pain in your legs. Sometimes you ask yourself, "Why the hell did I ever agree to do this? Again?! Am I insane?" Fortunately, reminders of why you chose to put yourself through it again are all around you every moment. The green of the trees, the blue of the skies, the sounds of the birds, the feeling of being part of nature rather than part of civilization.

This is what I'm talking about:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Survivor blog has the latest news and speculation as well as some spoiling about the show.
About Me

Name: Matt
Location: Coralville, IA
I am a Dad and a Husband. An Actor. An Administrator. A Hiker. A Writer. Probably a bunch of other things too. Read my blog and you'll find out more.
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama

Listed on Blogwise
Listed on BlogShares
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Who Links Here